Tuesday, October 6, 2009

My Big Fat Manifesto

My Big Fat Manifesto by Susan Vaught
I'm not chubby. I'm not chunky. I'm not hormonally challenged or endocrine-disordered. I do not prefer platitudes like "large" or "plus-sized" or clinical words like obese.I'm fat, fat, fat. If the word makes you uncomfortable, that's your problem.... F-A-T. That's the word. Get used to it. Get over it. I have to. Every single day of my life.

Jamie is a high-school senior and author of a weekly column in the school newspaper. Her column, "Fat Girl" is (hopefully) her ticket to a gigantic scholarship to the college journalism program of her choice. In it, she promises to chronicle the life and adventures of herself as a Fat Girl, enemy of cute fashion stores like Hotchix.Then, Jamie's boyfriend "Fat Boy" Burke drops his bombshell: he's going to have his stomach stapled. What will happen to Fat Girl when her boyfriend gets Skinny?

Jamie's strong adolescent voice shines in this high school coming-of-age novel. Recommended for readers of all sizes, ages 12 to adult. A little bit of cussing, and some references to off-stage sexual activity, but everybody keeps their size XXXX-L clothes on throughout the book.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Have you read this book, or another book you think we should consider featuring on the SITL site? Leave your polite and thoughtful opinions here!